- Office hours 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding State holidays.
- For walk-in services, please allow two days processing time for standard requests. Two day processing time is not available for genealogical requests or for certificate of birth resulting in stillbirth requests.
The Pittsburgh office maintains only death certificates for the city of Pittsburgh from 2004 to the present. Requests for other death certificates will be forwarded to the central office in New Castle, Pennsylvania for processing.
- You will be required to complete an application for certified copy of a birth or death certificate. You may download Adobe Acrobat Reader to print the application.
- You must present valid government issued photo identification. Examples of acceptable identification are a state issued driver's license or non-driver photo ID with requestor's name and current address, etc. If you do not have acceptable photo identification, please follow this simple set of instructions in order to obtain a birth certificate.
- There is a $20.00 fee for each certified copy of birth and $9.00 for each certified copy of death. Check or money order should be made payable to Vital Records. No fee may be required for certificates of Armed Forces members and their dependents.
- We suggest you review the list of Who May Request a Birth or Death Certificate to determine if you are eligible to apply for a certified copy.